To avoid delays, please read the information below before applying.
1. All business licenses expire on December 31st yearly, and it is the business owner's responsibility to renew.
2. The business start date
is the date when your business started, or will start, in the City of Chula Vista.
3. The business location
must be a physical location and may not be a P.O. Box or similar mailbox rental address. For mobile businesses without a commercial location, a home address may be used as the business address and shall follow the Home Occupation Permit guidelines(see 5.a below)
4. A tax identification number
is required. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Limited Partnerships, or Trusts are required to provide an FEIN or SEIN for the business. Sole proprietors or partnerships are required to provide the last 4 digits of their social security numbers or TIN for all listed owners or partners.
5. Required Documents
(must be attached to application, if applicable):
- For in-city businesses not located in a commercial location, a Home Occupation Permit is required. You may download the form by clicking here.
- In-city businesses with commercial locations must submit a signed lease agreement, rental agreement, close of escrow, or supporting document showing authorization to conduct business at that address.
- Businesses applying under a Fictitious Business Name (Doing Business As) must submit proof of filing. Information on DBAs and how to file them with the San Diego County Clerk’s office may be found here.
- Licensed professionals (e.g., Contractors, Lawyers, Estheticians, Physicians) must provide a valid state license number. Most state licenses can be looked up on their respective licensing bureaus, but especially for the case of newly licensed professionals, it is strongly encouraged that a copy of the license be included with the application to expedite the process.
- All mobile (home-based) businesses that utilize water as a part of their operations must read a Storm Water Information Packet applicable to their business and submit a Storm Water Questionnaire and Certification Statement found here.
6. Payment will not be required until your application has been accepted. You will receive an email containing the balance due and payment instructions within 10 business days.
For assistance contact the City of Chula Vista Finance Department at CVLicenses@chulavistaca.gov or by calling (619) 585-5624.